Review of The Lost Saint by Bree Despain

Tuesday, March 15, 2011
Click here to Enter to win a signed hardcover of The Lost Saint.

Review from Goodreads
A family destroyed. A love threatened. An enemy returns.

Grace Divine made the ultimate sacrifice to cure Daniel Kalbi. She was infected with the werewolf curse while trying to save him, and lost her beloved brother in the process.

Desperate to find Jude, Grace befriends Talbot, a newcomer to town. But as the two grow closer, Grace's relationship with Daniel is put in danger - in more ways than one.

Unaware of the dark path she is walking, Grace begins to give into the wolf inside of her - not realizing that an enemy has returned and a deadly trap is about to be sprung.

Bree Despain delivers sizzling romance and thrilling action in the heart-pounding sequel to the The Dark Divine.
 
Did ya'll know Bree wrote The Lost Saint in 4 weeks? Seriously an amazing feet. Especially since she has young kids. So I admit I was a little worried about how this would turn out. Especially since sequels are so often a disappointment. But I LOVED it. Even better than the first.
 
Bree is a master at weaving themes into her books. And she does it without the reader feeling they've been preached to. For instance, the title. There are so many "lost saints" in the book. So many characters who have lost their way. And seriously, I love that Bree "go's there." Meaning she breaks a YA taboo by bringing God into the book. Not overbearingly so, but he's there (all the angel books that have no reference to God whatsoever drive me crazy). She has a lot of subtle references to the Bible--Prodigal Son, Good Samaritan, etc. Grace has decided to "wait" until she's married. And her boyfriend respects that about her. She has morals. How refreshing.
 
In many ways, Grace is a much stronger character, but in growing stronger, she also grows weaker (you'll have to read it to find out why). Let's just say Bree did a great job of blending internal and external conflict.
 
I love the mystery of the book. Who's the bad guy? What do they want? By trying to solve the mystery, Grace only seems to put herself closer to danger--a danger she can't see. 
 
And the love triangle (I love me a good love triangle)! Tal and Daniel, oh my. I can't decide which one I like more. Both are hot. Both are damaged but trying to redeem themselves.
 
Eh, why pick. I'll just take two to go please.
 
Read any good love triangles lately?
 
Enter to win a signed hardcover of The Lost Saint.

4 comments:

  1. Great Review, Amber. One of my favorite books and authors also one of the books I'm anxiously awaiting a follow up on!

    Thanks for the wonderful review!
    Your site looks amazing, so clean and inviting, I love it!

    I see you're in the Leprechaun hop! Me, too! We'll have fun!

    Take care and see you at the hop!

    Kristi

  1. Thanks, Kristi! I go for simple over ornate with the blog. No distractions. :)
    Gah! I need to get the whole leprechaun hop thing going. I've never done one of these before.
    Amber

  1. I have to admit that as an atheist...I'm extremely gunshy of preachy books and "The Lost Saint" from just its title, sounds like it may want to smack me over the head with God talk. Anyways, your review is very informative and perhaps I'll take a second look at this book now.

  1. Let me know what you think. I'd like to hear your prespective. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...